Sunday, April 6, 2008

Trip to Las Vegas


Quite awhile ago, Kelly bought tickets for us to attend two big shows in Las Vegas. I'm always a little nervous about the shows there being less than appropriate. Kelly promised me that these shows were family rated. So we were very excited to go. Then. . . we had the unexpected news of Kelly's pharmaceutical position being eliminated (heartless corporate America) just days before our trip. Well, we decided to go anyway - a good way to get our mind off of it. Megan was a sweetie. She talked so positive all the way to Vegas. She even read a chapter out of a positive thinking book to us to boost our spirits.



When we arrived on Friday, we checked into the Sahara Hotel on the Strip, and then walked to the Mirage Hotel to see the Cirque du Soleil - Beatles "Love" show. It was phenomenal!
From the moment the curtains were raised, to the very last second of the show there was non-stop action. The props, the costuming, and of course the original Beatles soundtrack were amazing. It helped to recognize the era of the Beatles greatest popularity, the 1960's and early 70's. I think that the people who made up the show must have been on drugs. No, really - it was as psychodelic and off the wall as the lyrics of the Beatles songs. This is a "must see" if you go to Vegas. Actually we've seen two of the Cirque du Soleil shows ("Love" and "O") Best produced shows we've EVER seen - Really!
Next day we let Megan shop a little, and enjoyed the 85 degree weather. Mmmmmm........loved it! We also learned that the best way to get around downtown Las Vegas, is to park your car and buy a $5 a day bus pass and just ride the "Deuce".




That night we went to see the Blue Man Group at Venetian Hotel. We didn't know what to expect. And I can't explain it even after seeing it, but it was a riot! All I can tell you is that it is a group of percussionists painted blue. . . and they will keep your attention riveted all night. They use visual, audio, mental, and tactile perception to keep you going all through the show. Very fun!




It was a nice getaway. I'm glad we had the chance to go before jumping back into finishing our house and looking for employment.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

NO WAY!! A new post!? YAY! It looks like you guys had tons of fun~ I'm glad you could get your mind off of things for a weekend. You guys are the best. -I'm having a good feeling about the future for you guys! The best is yet to come. :) I'm so excited to visit this next week too!

Mrs. Jones said...

I am so proud of your new post also!

We are taking a family vaca to Vegas at the end of the month. I am trying to talk Nick into doing the "LOVE" show but he isn't sold. The tickets are expensive but worth it!

Love you guys! Hang in there.

Nicolette said...

Kelly should have painted his face and tried to get on stage with his beat-boxing skills! Love the new blog!

Liza said...

Hey McKinlay Fam! I was blogging on Justin and Tess's and though I would drop by and say Hello! I hope you guys had fun in Vegas!! We just got back as well! I know what you mean about trying to figure out which shows to go to down there. They can get out of hand that's for sure! I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourselves!

The house is looking great! I am jealous! We will have to come check it out one of these days!Take care!

Unknown said...

Hello McKinlay Clan From another McKinlay Clan in Edmonton Alberta. I happened to be searching my last name and stumbled upon your page. I then noticed you went to see LOVE in Vegas.... The most ironic thing is my brother....a McKinlay was actually in the show. He is a dancer with Cirque and has been in Love for three months. I just thought what a small world. Hope you liked it and glad to find more McKinlay's in the world.


Kerry